You log into class and find out that you have already missed the first day of discussion, and your professor's welcome note reply deadline. A late assignment message is already in your tray! What do you do now?
You cry out, Help!! I am an online adult learner trying to finish my degree! Someone help me!
Relax; you are in good company, there are thousands of other returnees back into the education arena trying o finish their degrees amidst a host of responsibilities and a Global recession. You are not alone!
Here are some immediate strategies that may help you today!
• Create a 10 - 20 minute time slot to familiarize yourself with the online classroom environment and tools, e.g. E-mail, Discussion Forum (asynchronous), and the learning management system you are using e.g. WebCT, Blackboard, D2L and the like.
• Navigate the major areas of the main and individual classroom forums and browse through the postings for any messages that need immediate attention.
• Download and Browse through the Syllabus to get an idea of the course coverage.
• Download the Reading text for the week. Place it in a visible spot on your desktop e.g. My Documents Folder.
• Take note of due dates and create a notepad with the name of the assignment and due date posted onto your desktop.
• Spell and Grammar check everything you post into the class or individual forums including assignments!
• Create a word document for each assignment or checkpoint and name it. This means you have started on it already! Add the date to the document name e.g. IT233_dueMonSept 28th
• Read the question and write an approximation of how long it will take to address it at the top of each assignment document. (This will help create a mental note of how much time you need to carve out of your schedule to complete the work before the deadline date).
• Relax! You have just taken action! Take a break and note a time on your desktop to come back to the online class later, you are one step closer to your degree!
You can Do this!