Friday, August 31, 2007
You are waiting for the day of announcement of your promotion with full of excitement; but, one day, your boss bring in a new face and introduce to the company that he is the new hire for the position replacement left by the previous manager. You welcome him with a smiling face but inside your heart, you are unhappy with it.
Don't let this happen to you. Your working experience no doubt is very important and is the key factor for your career advancement. But you need to know that not only you have such a good experience in your field of expertise, many others do have too and they have documents such as degree certificates to prove it. Thus, a degree in hand should be better for you to secure your future as compare solely on your working experience.
It's time for you to upgrade yourself; but you may have a concern to on-hold your current career in order for you to go back to school for the degree. Then, do it with online degree programs. The online degree programs are designed for busy people in mind and you can complete you degree courses at your own schedule from anywhere you are. There are many prestigious colleges and universities offer complete online degree programs taught by the same faculty who teach in their classrooms. Subject areas range from business to nursing, degrees from Bachelor to MBAs and Ph.Ds.
Today, you can easily upgrade yourself through online degree program. If you are holding an associate degree, it's time for you to think about upgrade it to bachelor degree. If you are currently at executive level and have a bachelor degree in business administration, you may prepare yourself for manager position by earning a MBA.
In short, your working experience is important in your career path but a degree in your expertise field will secure you for your future.
About the Author Take a visit to http://www.studykiosk.com for more information on all online degrees available. Earning your education is one of the biggest and most important investments in your life. Our goal is to help you quickly find online degrees and online programs. We feature over 1,000 online degrees and accredited online degree programs.
Thursday, August 23, 2007
How Can You Benefit From An Affordable College Degree Online ?
The working and established adult who pursues an affordable college degree online has added to his or her resources for skill acquisition. This person has expanded the information that can help with skill development. That working grown up has also found a way to supplement any of the job training already provided to the adult worker.
Pursuing an affordable college degree online makes an adult more competitive in the job market. The knowledge and skills gained from those online courses can be used to expand the offerings of a job applicant. "Test-out" credits enables the worker to maximize the value of his or her work and life experiences.
How Do You Find an Affordable College Degree Online?
The website CollegeSearchUniversity.com serves as an great spot for the launch of a search for an affordable college degree online. It motivates the efforts of the potential student by claiming, "The whole world is your classroom." It backs-up that claim by offering the website user access to important and useful written materials.
CollegeSearchUniversity.com shows on its site how to obtain college guides. It links the website user to efficient career information, information that can help with the selection of study programs and courses. In addition, it directs the prospective online student to relevant scholarship sources, information that can virtually guarantee the delivery of an affordable college degree online.
The website of Western Governor's University also offers a load of information to anyone after an affordable college degree online. This is actually the world's first non-profit online university. It concentrates on competency-based education. It offers potential students guidelines regarding the use of "test-out" credits.
How "Test-out" Credits Can Help you To Obtain A College Degree Online
"Test-out" credits let the substitution of work or life experiences for some course work. By utilizing such "test-out" credits a student can do away with the expense of taking courses that teach material the student already knows. For an adult in a full time job, such credits are an important part of an affordable college degree online. Programs that focus on offering such credits recognize the vital needs of the working adults who plan to take their courses.
Saturday, August 18, 2007
1. Solid Writing Ability: If you can't write well you can't communicate well, especially in the online world. Online, the number one method of communication is email and going to school online most forms of communication involve the written word. There is little opportunity (with current technology) to interact verbally with other students and professors. Aside from the occasional phone calls between interactive team members every communication is either by chat or email. Not to mention the prodigious number of research papers you are expected to produce, you should also be ready to learn new research methods. The use of uniform research formatting methods, such as APA, created by the American Psychological Association, and the institution of very strict plagiarism rules have made writing a research paper more arduous than in the past. For example, I found that many of the websites used for reference had plagiarized their content, leading to a plagiarism chain. The proliferation of plagiarisms has prompted many universities to institute online originality check engines to their sites, which can slow down your submissions while you wait to pass the check.
2. Working in Microsoft Office: A good working knowledge of MS Office will help you immeasurably. Knowing how to convert documents and link between the various programs will make your assignments (and your life) flow smoother. I found that the two most important operations for my business degree were, first, knowing how to connect Word documents with Excel (especially pasting Excel graphs into Word documents) and second, being familiar with basic business writing formats like memo writing and composing a business brief. To do this you should know how to access and use the Templates in MS Word. Just being knowledgeable in these two areas will save you a tremendous amount of time by not having to learn by trial and error, or forcing you to take extra computer classes.
3. Self Discipline: Can you accomplish goals without supervision? This is a required trait if you hope to succeed with your studies online. You'll be given a task list and the dates they are due, a lecture schedule and a text book. That's all you get; it is up to you to read the textbook, listen to the lectures and write the papers. There is no one there to hold your hand. You're 100% on your own. I'll tell you right now that when it's summertime and all your friends are going to the beach it's not easy to stay home to finish a research paper. If you have a laptop and a wireless card then you can (theoretically) go anywhere and work. But you should realize that too many distractions will affect your work and can eat a hole in your GPA pretty fast.
4. Time Management Skills: Being a good time manager may be the most important character trait to succeeding online. If you are ready to juggle work, family, friends and school in an organized way you may be able to go to the beach on a warm Saturday afternoon. It's a challenge. I m a good time manager so I managed to maintain a social life while I finished my degree (I even proposed to my g/f in the middle of going to school! (Yes, she said yes!). But there were times (especially when working with online group projects) that I had to forgo social engagements to finish assignments. You can minimize these social intrusions by being organized and working steadily on your projects. If you're a procrastinator, and like to wait till the last minute to do things you'll have a hard time keeping on schedule and maintaining a positive attitude. Remember, you're not going to a classroom and sitting for a lecture twice a week and then doing your homework! So you can spare those four hours to spend on your assignments! It's all about priorities; you want to have good grades RIGHT?
5. Strong Motivation: As I've mentioned already there's no one holding your hand to accomplish your goal. It's all up to you. Have a solid reason why you want to attain your degree and keep your eye on the ball. The major difference between going to a brick and mortar school and attending online classes is the need for serious motivation. You are no longer motivated by wanting to impress the cute chick in the second row or being the smartest guy in class (girls, you may insert peer pressure motivations of your own here) because only you know how your doing. If you can't feel motivated without external inputs then you might want to reconsider online learning. But if you want an economical way to get your degree, the opportunity is right here and right now!
Wayne Silverman holds a BS degree in marketing and lives in suburban Philadelphia with his fiance and a cat named Angela. He has been writing for the web for several years through different writer's sites. Currently he is employed by a nationwide franchise company working in a public relations capacity and is actively seeking to expand his writing business. He can be reached by email at email@example.com
Sunday, August 12, 2007
Online degree programs have gained very good responses especially from working individual. The three benefits of online education: flexibility, remote learning and self-pace has resolved the worries of many working individuals who are thinking of going back to school for a degree which can help in their career.
Before the available of online education, if you already enter the job market and want to earn an extra degree, you either attend an evening class at college nearby, go to Sunday school or put on-hold your job for 1 to 2 years to earn your degree. These traditional class-based schools have fixed time schedule which you need to adjust your time to fit into the fixed learning time schedule. You will miss your classes if you are on travel due to job assignment, or due to late meetings. If the courses you are interested in not offer in any schools nearby you, then you probably need to put aside your education plan because of your work unless you willing to sacrifice your job and travel to college at far location to complete the required degree program. The drawbacks of traditional class-based education make hard for working individual to have a win-win solution between work and education.
The introduction of online education gives a good news to many working individual who plan for a degree and at the same time want to maintain their working and living style. Flexibility and self-pace learning style enable working individuals to schedule their learning pace based on their own time schedule. Online classes allow working individuals to attend classes from their comfort home. In short, online education provides a perfect solution for working individual to logon to earn one/more degrees and moves their career to next level.
Besides the working individuals, people from retirement group also benefit from online degree programs. Retired people can fill up their leisure time with new knowledge by joining an online education program. There are many hobby-oriented online education programs available for retired group to choose from based on their interest. After the admission which can also be done online, they just need to sit back and logon to earn a degree online.
New graduates from high school who have ambition to achieve their career goal at the shortest time possible can logon to an online degree program and equip themselves with a strong education background while getting a job related to their career goal to gain more working experience.
The available of online education not just benefit a certain group people, it give an opportunity for everyone to earn a degree from anywhere and at anytime. With online education, everybody can logon to earn their degree online.
Monday, August 06, 2007
The online degree programs are increasing in popularity and creditability, more and more prestigious colleges and universities offer complete online degree programs taught by the same faculty who teach in their classrooms. Many online programs offers by these prestigious colleges and universities are reputable. Hence, earning a degree online can be a good option for many students, but some "diploma mills" have hurt the integrity of such programs.
If you plan to pursue a degree online, precaution steps must be taken to avoid earning a "Fake" online degree. Some "diploma mills" have sophisticated Web sites and might seem like real universities but lack college-level work and accreditation. You should always check with the Council for Higher Education Accreditation to see if their program is accredited.
Most of "diploma mills" are focus on fast production and distribution of fake degrees. They just offer credit for life experience and if you pay your fees you get your diploma. You don't have to worry about practical experience. If you pay a little extra, you can even graduate with honors and you can even complete a degree including Doctorate degree in 5 to 7 days.
The problem arises when this life experience is not accepted by state and federal laws and you facethe problem of looking for a suitable job. Today, most employers are smart, they will check your degree against accreditation and they aware of those online colleges which "Famous" in "diploma mills". So, make sure you are holding a legitimate degree when applying for a job position; the best way to avoid this from happening to you is to check the online degree program against it's accreditation before your register for it.
In general, accredited colleges and universities will receive the .edu designation in their website domain name. For example, Stanford University's web address is Stanford.edu which authenticates that they are genuine online universities. But the best way to confirm the accreditation of an online college or university is to check with the US Department of Education.
Currently, there are six higher education regional accrediting agencies which are recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. These U.S. regional accrediting agencies are:
- Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Higher Education
- New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Commission on Institutions of Higher Education
- North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Institutions of Higher Education
- Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges, Commission on Colleges
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities
There are also many other national, professional and specialized accrediting bodies that are recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. They provide accreditation, guidance and quality assurance roles for distance and online learning institutions, foreign learning institutions and training providers.
If you are planning to pursue your degree online, spend some time to check and confirm the accreditation of your selected online college or university. And make sure the organization that provides the accreditation to the college is recognized by US Department of Education. Take these precaution steps in advanced are better than regretting it later when you are holding a helpless "fake" degree.
By: Jullie Harvard